Grapefruit and the seeds of grapefruit, which is sub-tropical, occur in large quantities across different countries. These can be used to extract and obtain a liquid substance called grape seed extract. This is done because the grape seed extract is well known for its medicinal benefits and uses. It is used as a disinfectant in many countries alike and various societies across Europe, South America and Asia use grape seed extract to clean the surfaces of hair, skin and home areas. The extract is so popular because of its highly effective anti-viral and bacterial properties.
Grape Seed Extract possesses a large amount of free radical eliminating and disease fighting antioxidants known as bioflavonoids. They also act as phytonutrients. Among these highly powerful bioflavonoids exists a component called hesperidin, which is well know for immunity boosting and stimulating factors.
A detailed chemical analysis of grape seed extract revealed that it has some additional antioxidant components such and sterols, tocopherols, Vitamin C, limonoids, citric acid and a few other essential trace minerals among others. The most important and prominent benefits of grape seed extract are its anti-cancer properties. There have been studies done on the components present grape seed extract pulp and seed which have shown that these bioactive agents have the ability to prevent colon cancer.
Recently there was a study done on the subject of Grape seed extract by some microbiologists from the University of Georgia and they found out that it functions as a powerful and effective non toxic disinfectant. Mostly disinfectants contain a high amount of toxicity, which can be harmful to our environment and can affect our health as well. The study also concluded that grape seed extract had a wide range of antiviral, antiprotozoan and antimycotic benefits against many viruses and bacteria. Due to this it can be used as an effective cleansing agent. Apart from this study, there was another study on grape seed extract which said that it was able to eliminate 100 strains of fungus, 800 viral and bacterial stains and a huge number of single and multiple cell parasites. There is no other naturally occurring anti-microbial agent in existence.
Surprising Health Benefits of Grape Seed Extract
Grape seed extract has a number of potential health benefits such as:-
- It can act as a powerful naturally occurring antiseptic compound.
- It has power antiviral and antifungal abilities.
- It has the potential to fight cancer.
- It can heal wounds and scar tissue.
- Can lower levels of bad cholesterol due to the presence of flavonoidnaringin.
- Works brilliantly against toenail fungal infections.
- Helps in treating sinus, topical skin and vaginal infections.
- Can remove toxins from fruits and vegetables when used to wash.
- Highly effective in prevention of Yeast Infections like Candida etc.
- Prevents the formation and growth of dangerous and harmful intestinal micro-organisms.
- Helps in preserving cosmetics.
- Lastly, it can be used to replace chlorine usage in areas like pools, public baths and water treatment plants because it has the ability to purify water.