Hair Maintenance can be relatively easy if a few simple steps are taken. Hair is primarily made up of protein, so a well rounded healthy diet coupled with good personal hygiene is essential in maintaining long and healthy hair.
Follow these simple steps to you way to enviable lock.
1. Wash your hair in moderation and be sure to use a good-quality shampoo. Washing your hair too frequently can dry your hair out, leaving them devoid of the natural oils. You should typically wash them every other day or better still twice a week depending on the weather conditions and pollution levels.
Your shampoo should not contain either sulfates or parabens. These chemicals aren’t good for your hair or the environment, so try an herbal shampoos that does not contain any these chemicals.
Use a conditioner best suited for your hair type. Hair should be conditioned after ever wash, but if required you can condition in between you shampooing cycle as well.
Deep condition at least once a week. Use a store-bought hair care product, or try a homemade product. Deep conditioning can work wonders for your hair. It keeps hair supple, vigorous and moisturized.
A word of caution
- Do not use hair care products with too much protein in them. Although it might seem like a good idea as proteins are the building blocks of hair, but products with too much protein in them can lead to hair that is desiccated and brittle.
- Frizz-control serum are ok, but be sure not to use too much. If you use frizz-control serum make sure to shampoo it away so as not to have a build-up.
- Blow-dryers, curlers, straighteners should be avoided as hair is easily damaged by heat. If you must, blow dryer at the lowest possible temperature setting.
- Brushing your hair too often can lead to split ends and frizz so avoid brushing too often. Use wide toothed comb or your hands if possible.
- Naturally styled hair is healthier and stays healthy. Self-Styled you hair to avoid damage, repeated styling trips to the salon can damage you hair.
Vinegar can be used before you shampoo your hair. Doing so has two benefits, it makes you hair shinier and cleaner and it also helps in treating dandruff. 1 part vinegar in 3 parts warm water, followed by a good rinse and wash.
Miracle Hair oil
A mixture of these five oils can help moisturise and protect you hair. Almond, castor, olive, coconut and lavender oils in equal proportions, makes for a great hair oil. Leave in for 4 hours post application and then shampoo out.
Eat healthily. Vitamins are essential for your health and that goes double for your hair. Since the primary building blocks of hair are proteins, eating a balanced diet rich in protein is essential. Vegies, fruits and whole grains could go a long way in improving the quality of your hair. A healthy diet will ensure hair look and feel better.
A diet rich in vitamin C would go a long way in strengthening you hair. Some other nutrients and minerals that may be good for you hairs are:
- Iron, improves the blood supply.
- Zinc helps in regeneration and repair.
- Omega-3 fatty acids may boost the growth of healthy hair
Final note, we all are slaves to instant gratification, but please give your hair some time to show there new found brilliance. Better nutrition will have a positive effect on your hair but it might take some time.